Freddie Mercury - 2012 London - Closing Ceremony
Mohamed Farah of Great Britain and Usain Bolt of Jamaica pose on the podium
The Flying Dutchman
Five 2012 Olympic Ladies You Should Know About:
- Olympic Weightlifter Zoe Smith Shuts Down Sexist Tweets About Female Athletes’ ‘Manly’ Bodies [x]
We, as any women with an ounce of self-confidence would, prefer our men to be confident enough in themselves to not feel emasculated by the fact that we aren’t weak and feeble.
- Afghani female sprinter, Tahmina Kohistani, resists country’s old ideals, vows to show women new future [x]
My feeling is different because I’m going to do something for my country. I like to change the society, to change the mind of people about [women] and they should accept this. We are not wrong. We are right.
- After years of keeping her sport a secret from her parents, Sarah Menezes wins judo gold for Brazil. [x]
In the beginning, they used to say judo was not a girl’s sport. Then, they would complain that being an athlete was a not a proper career. I would go to my training sessions anyway, sometimes saying I had to stay longer at school, sometimes asking the neighbour to take me secretly.
- When Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi makes her Olympic debut in the 10- metre air rifle event, she will be the first woman to represent Malaysia in Olympic shooting and eight months pregnant. [x]
Every morning I talk to her and I say: ‘Mummy is going for training. Please remain calm. Don’t kick.’ But if the baby kicks I have to breathe easy and let her calm down before shooting.
- Less than a month away from the London Games, U.S. women’s soccer standout Megan Rapinoe says publicly for the first time that she is gay. [x]
To be honest I’ve been thinking about it for a while, trying to find a time that works, now leading up to the Olympics, people want to get personal stories. Our team in general is in a position where people look up to us and kids look up to us. I embrace that and I think I have a huge LGBT following. I think it’s pretty cool, the opportunity that I have, especially in sports. There’s really not that many out athletes. It’s important to be out and to live my life that way.
Ilaria Salvatori, Arianna Errigo (silver in the individual competition), Valentina Vezzali (bronze in the individual competition) and Elisa Di Francisca (gold in the individual competition) of Italy celebrate winning gold after the Women’s Foil Team Fencing gold medal match against Russia on Day 6 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at ExCeL on August 2, 2012 in London, England.
Gabby Douglas reacts to winning Gold in the women’s gymnastics all around. She became the first African-American to win the all around and the third female gymnast in a row to win the medal for the United States.
everything i do in life
And then I realized, OH MY GOD, THEY ARE PANTOMIMING THEIR INDIVIDUAL EVENTS.
(ROWING A BOAT?!)edit: NO WAIT, THE BOYS ARE THE WIND IN HER SAILS.
HOLY SHIT THESE GUYS ARE BRILLIANT SAKJHLJKFSHSF LOOOOVE.